Organized by Pro Materia
25-26 October 2004
Pro Materia association organizes a seminar in partnership with the Ministry of Equipment and Public Transportation as well as with the Walloon Region. It tackles the topic "Environmental Design: design, public spaces and mobility" and will take place in Liège on 25-26 October 2004. This workshop is part of the European Design Forum programme, www.eu-design.net
- Humanizing public spaces and mobility.
- Emphasizing the creativity of designers and architects.
- Supporting interdisciplinarity.
- Looking at the European dimension.
Content of the workshop
- Welcoming speech by a minister of the Walloon Region, Namur, BE
- Defining, exploring and teaching environmental design (Elie Lévy, architect and urban planner, EKLA Agency, Beersel, BE)
- Liège and the Saint-Lambert Square (Claude Strebelle, Ateliers du Sart-Tilman, Liège, BE)
- Design and architecture of public spaces
(Italo Rota, Italo Rota & Partners, Milano, IT)
- Lunch and visit of the Design Biennial in the Cœur-Saint-Lambert
- Design, architecture and public spaces in Wallonia: a visual kaleidoscope (Pierre Henrion, art historian and archaeologist, BE)
- Designing light as an object or an environment (Bruno Demeester and Koert Vermeulen, art and event lighting designers, ACT, BE)
-Contemporary landscapes in the city (Elco Hoofman c/o Gross Max, Glasgow, Scotland, UK)
- Lighting design of public spaces: between reason and emotion (Vesa Honkonen Architects, Helsinki-Stockholm
- Conclusions of the day and debate)
- Panel: Travelling in the sphere of urban mobility (Axel Enthoven, EADC, Antwerp, BE; Alain Flausch, Director, STIB, Brussels, BE; responsible of Bombardier, Bruges, BE; responsibles of the SRWT/TEC/Bus Van Hool or Jonckheere in Wallonia)
- The RATP: a vision of the public transports of the future (Yo Kaminagai, Design Manager, "Espaces de Transport et Intermodalité", RATP, Paris, France; part of the IUPT working group)
- Debate on the impact of design on the urban mobility in Europe
- Projects and prototypes of urban furniture by young Belgian designers (Xavier Lust, Lucile Soufflet, Domitienne Cuvelier,…)
- Conclusions of the workshop (Lise Coirier, Pro Materia asbl, promotion of contemporary design, Brussels, BE)
Location: auditorium of the Cœur-Saint-Lambert in Liège, Monday 25th and Tuesday 26th October 2004
25/10: from 9.30 a.m. until 6 p.m.
26/10: from 9.30 a.m. until 4.30 p.m.
Free entrance (on booking by phone, e-mail or per post before 15 October 2004). Maximum number of participants: 200 persons.
Info: Pro Materia asbl, Elisabethlaan 4 - B 3080 Tervuren
Tel. +32 (0) 2 768 25 10 - +32 (0) 475 53 19 88
The leaflet for the workshop will be available during the first part of September, on request and will also be published in .pdf on the EDF website.
English has been chosen as the speaking language for this workshop.